SoulFragments

Thursday, July 31, 2008

Grief... the Journey

I have written a couple of posts on my main blog - GreenishLady - about the loss of my mother, who passed away on 9th July. Today, I posted a piece inspired by something I read of John O'Donohue's, in which he says:

"The soul is always wiser than the mind, even though we are dependent on the mind to read the soul for us."

This seems to me a very apt quote to illustrate what happens in SoulCollage®. The soul makes its presence felt in the selection of images and in the making of the cards; and then it makes itself felt when we draw cards in a reading.

If my mind had been asked which neters would support me in coming through the loss of Mam, I imagine I'd have gone for my Healer, Death, Prayer, Divine Mother (Council) cards; the community cards I've made for my mother, and my father and other family members; my heart chakra Lion card... Logic would dictate that these would all be meaningful and helpful in the grief journey.

With my sister, yesterday evening, I did a reading asking that question (Which neters will support me in coming through the loss of Mam?), and my wise soul selected four cards that my mind would have bypassed:





My Caring Gardener reminds me that: as I care for the earth, the earth cares for me, and keeps me in contact with the cycles of life.
..........
This is my Water-bearer card.
I am one who is nourished by the Waters of Life; who respects and cares for water. Water will remind me of my birth and connect me to Mam.
......
This is my Explorer Card.
I am one who takes comfort in nature; in exploring small spaces; in silence and in memories of childhood.

This is Kathryn.

I am one who values friendship. I am one who lives my own life. I am one who knows the importance of nurturing. I am one who will be there for you............

This combination of cards becomes a powerful support, with reminders of practical, tangible and spiritual forces on which I can call in this journey. So my mind just has the task of remembering and assisting me in bringing these neters into action in my life.


-------------------------

I joined in Roberta Rook's Kaleidosoul teleclass on Grief last night, and much of what was said was so in tune with this reading and with how I've been feeling that I feel all the more connected and supported within my own SoulCollage practice, and within the SoulCollage community. Thanks to all who took part, and especially thank you to Roberta and Anne Marie.

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

  • Thank you for sharing. I am still procrastinating on making my cards. Though I do lots of soulful collage...Hugs, Lila

    By Blogger Lila Rostenberg, at 2:46 PM  

  • Imelda, you are so very special. It is such a pleasure to be your friend. I think of you often and send you warm healing wishes and prayers.

    By Blogger Lisa, at 6:36 PM  

  • Dear Imelda,
    I am saddened to hear about the loss of your mother; that is a loss I know very well, although of course our journey through grief and healing is unique to each of us; I acknowledge and recognize the enormity of it.

    I am gladdened that you've been, and are, in touch with what brings you solace. The soul always bringing and giving us what we need and pointing the way. How wonderful that your SoulCollage cards can lead you by the hand, and heart...and soul through this grief experience. Grieving our mother a hurt like none other - and yet Spirt and Grace move us moment by moment to what we need to do, or not do, next. I'm glad you're in-tune with, and heed that.

    Please know that you and your family are in my thoughts, and my heart and I am holding the space for your journey through the grieving of your mother, and your journey through life as well. prayer and meditation time.

    May peace be with you...
    Cheryl

    By Blogger Cheryl Finley, at 7:25 PM  

  • Imelda, I decided to browse your blog a bit, and just a few posts down found this quote you posted from Elizabeth Kubler-Ross' "The Wheel of Life". I can't describe how it makes me feel, but it compassionately brings me closer to accepting and comprehending that this thing we've named death, is paradoxically a door closing and another opening; or maybe it's not even that, I'm feeling that it literally is a "crossing over", crossing the threshold of this existence into "what's next". The quote reads:

    "When we have done all the work we were sent to Earth to do, we are allowed to shed our body, which imprisons our soul like a cocoon encloses the future butterfly. And when the time is right, we can let go of it and we will be free of pain, free of fears and worries-free as a very beautiful butterfly, returning home to God..."
    -from a letter to a child with cancer.

    Thank you...

    By Blogger Cheryl Finley, at 7:38 PM  

  • Wonderful post! Thanks for sharing with us. :) *HUGS*

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:49 PM  

  • I bounced over here to thank you for your comment and noticed that your mother has died. I am so sorry for that loss. I lost my own mom in 1999 (dad in 1994), and it is a sobering thought not to be someone's "baby." I hope you are faring well. It's a hard blow.

    The flowers it appears were for no reason at all, except maybe that they miss me. My reading was July 30 here in Provincetown, but they wouldn't have known that. The note just said they hoped I was "dandy" and they hoped for my safe return home.

    I know you must love your frog, as I love my little Teddy!

    By Blogger Theresa Williams, at 4:48 AM  

  • I have just found your blog through my friend, Linda (variousandassundryitemsof interest). I really appreciate your unique and special way of saying things. I am sorry for the loss of your mother and am grateful for your willingness to share about it here on your blog. I look forward to reading more and learning more about you. From River

    By Blogger Unknown, at 6:25 AM  

  • i see Lila and Angela here and I adore them too!!!
    Lucky you!
    you are surrounded by us ;-)
    your kindred spirits.
    As Lila said, I created lots of soul collages in my life and i will keep doing it forever, they are so liberating, oh yes!
    hoping you are doing your best everyday in these times of grief
    Hugs dear!

    By Blogger couragetocreatewriteandlove, at 11:23 AM  

  • Imelda, I think it's been a while since I've been back here to check in on your SoulCollage® journey, but each time I arrive, I am struck with the longing I feel to get back to doing some collaging for myself. Thanks for the reminder and for sharing the wisdom of SoulCollage®.

    By Blogger daringtowrite, at 10:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home