SoulFragments

Sunday, April 20, 2008

Synchronicity: Facing Death

I had another of my little "SoulCollage Soirees" yesterday, when three friends joined me at home to do a reading and to make some cards. It was wonderful. There was healing, joy, trust, love there. I felt very blessed to be among such great women. I took photos of each person's crop of cards, but forgot to check if they'd be ok with my publishing them here, so I'll hold off on that for a few days, but there is something I want to share with you.

Today, I encountered a quote from Elizabeth Kubler-Ross's "The Wheel of Life",
"When we have done all the work we were sent to Earth to do, we are allowed to shed our body, which imprisons our soul like a cocoon encloses the future butterfly. And when the time is right, we can let go of it and we will be free of pain, free of fears and worries-free as a very beautiful butterfly, returning home to God..."
-from a letter to a child with cancer.

Above is the card I made yesterday, which I named "Death/Rebirth transformation". I already have two death cards in my deck, and yet, I felt there was another to be made - one that really incorporates a sense of the rebirth that is right there at the moment of death. I was not thinking of that quote (although I have read the book, quite a few years ago), so imagine my surprise when I did read it today. The other death cards I've made are the two sides of the idea of death - one the "light" side, emphasising death as a "messenger of joy". The other is what I call the "shadow-side", the dark, fearful part of death. Others who have seen this card, however, have not felt that darkness to be threatening or scary. They have found it comforting too.

Perhaps the skeletal / mummified part of the new card is too stark an image to offer comfort. I don't know. I just know that it felt "right" to put these two together, that this card seems to be a synthesis of the feelings of the other two cards.

I made three other cards yesterday, but will share them another time. I'd be interested to have feedback on these cards. - Does the new card look like it would be comforting or reassuring to someone who is actually facing death?

[22/4/08 -- This post has been edited from its first version]

Labels: ,

13 Comments:

  • Your cards are lovely - I am particulary drawn to the death/rebirth card.
    regards
    Liz

    By Blogger Arty Lady's blog, at 1:07 PM  

  • I don't know if it would be comforting or not, seems a very individual thing to me.

    It reminds me of one of my own cards:

    Mother of Transformation

    so I can feel its comfort but I've really not idea if others would.

    After all change of any kind is itself frightening when we are holding back from it... stepping into the unknown abyss... not always easy to cope with even if its not as drastic as death...

    By Blogger Caroline, at 3:02 AM  

  • I'm not sure if the card would be comforting or not. I will say that it gets its point across beautifully. I really love the card. Thank you for your sweet message on my blog. I'll still be around, just not there. :)

    By Blogger Lisa, at 8:26 AM  

  • Those cards, about a cubject usually avoided are wonderful. My favorite is the blue one...of course! "The opposite of death is not life but birth." (LIfe has no opposite)--Eckhart Tolle.
    so the blue card has the pair of opposites!

    By Blogger Lila Rostenberg, at 7:30 AM  

  • I love your cards and feel they are comforting, if not, honestly coming from one's heart.....they spoke to me of the reality of living within a skinbag I shall one day be relieved of....

    blessings,
    linda

    By Blogger L'Adelaide, at 4:56 PM  

  • I really love the Butterfly/Corpse Death card, it is so vivid and powerful, my eye is drawn to the Butterfly and really speaks to me of the power of transformation!

    Btw, it was great to hear you on Lisa's teleclass as well!

    By Blogger Kathie, at 3:26 PM  

  • beautiful- i have just written a blog article myself on the whole death rebirth theme.

    your cards are amazing- the process is very very powerful and yes, i love Jackson browne & Joni Mitchell too ( although they dont have much love for each other it seems ! )

    By Blogger Unknown, at 8:07 PM  

  • Your "transformation" card is breath-taking and moving. Thank you for taking a look at my blog and leaving the nice comment on my Mother Africa SoulCollage® card.

    By Blogger Sharon, at 10:18 PM  

  • Hi Imelda,
    These cards are quite moving. Death & Rebirth espcially touches me. I feel it's as if the skeleton is the background awareness witnessing its own rebirth. There's indeed a rhythmic beauty and peace about this card. It embraces the reality of human life and the ongoing recycling of our form. Very powerful and liberating, for we all must travel that journey.
    Blessings to you..
    Cheryl

    P.S. It was so good to have you stop by my blog and comment on The Fool Archetype. I look forward to learning about the many faces of The Fool.

    By Blogger Cheryl Finley, at 4:37 PM  

  • Well I agree but I think the post should acquire more info then it has.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:49 PM  

  • Again a good post. Thank your also pen-friend

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:00 PM  

  • Nice fill someone in on and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you as your information.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:53 AM  

  • [url=http://kfarbair.com][img]http://www.kfarbair.com/_images/logo.png[/img][/url]

    בית מלון [url=http://www.kfarbair.com]כפר בעיר[/url] - אינטימיות, [url=http://kfarbair.com/services.html]שקט[/url] . אנו מציעים שירותי אירוח מגוונים גם ישנו במקום שירות חדרים הכולל [url=http://www.kfarbair.com/eng/index.html]סעודות רומנטיות[/url] במחירים מיוחדים אשר מוגשות ישירות לחדרכם!

    לפרטים נא גשו לעמוד המלון - [url=http://kfarbair.com]כפר בעיר[/url] [url=http://www.kfarbair.com/contact.html][img]http://www.kfarbair.com/_images/apixel.gif[/img][/url]

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home